What is a Shuttle Racking System?
A shuttle racking system is a high-density, semi-automated storage solution that increases storage space while refining safety compared to other storage systems available. A shuttle racking system assists in the loading and unloading of pallets. This type of system is conveniently operated with a remote control.
Shuttle racking systems eliminate the process where forklifts need to access the storage lanes, reducing the overall risk of damage to stock or the racking itself and overhead costs in employing staff to pick pallets.
Where can a Shuttle Racking System be used?
A shuttle racking storage system can be used for numerous applications such as:
- Companies with a large number of pallets and / or intensive loading and unloading activity
- FIFO (first-in, first-out) and LIFO (last in, first out) storage
- Warehouses with cold rooms or freezers, as these systems can operate efficiently at temperatures of -30°C
- Warehouses where human interference is limited
How does a Shuttle Racking System work?
Intended for high-turnover storage, this solution enables the continuous loading and unloading of pallets by using an automated system.
The battery powered shuttle travels underneath the pallets, raising the pallets off the racking and carrying the pallets back and forth within the system.
A shuttle racking system works by a human operator transmitting an order via a remote control to a shuttle. The shuttle picks up the pallet and delivers it to the first free space in the aisle.
Shuttles run on rails that are built into the racking. They can ascend or descend by using vertical transporters normally positioned at the front end of the aisle. This enables them to load and unload pallets on several different levels.
Shuttle racking can also be used with AGV’s (automated guided vehicles), enhancing safety, productivity and long term cost savings even further.
Benefits of a Shuttle Racking System
One Stop Pallet Racking (OSPR) Shuttle Racking can optimise space and productivity in a warehouse amongst other advantages, including:
- Storage Capacity – this system offers more storage density than traditional pallet racking.
- Timesaver – Shuttle racking removes the need for forklifts to drive into aisles to pick and pack pallets and makes loading and unloading pallets more efficient.
- Safety – Shuttle racking lowers the risk of damage to equipment, stock, racking and staff due to the way the system operates and given that forklifts do not need to drive into the aisles.
- Versatility – Can be operated in LIFO or FIFO mode, depending on your needs. They are also able to function at a range of temperatures, from hot warehouses to cold facilities.
Drawbacks of a Shuttle Racking System
Even though shuttle racking systems can be very useful in certain settings, their drawbacks include:
- Cost – These systems involve a significant upfront investment cost.
- Accessibility – They are not appropriate for individual picking operations or warehouses with a large number of unique SKUs. Like other dense storage solutions, using this type of system can mean it might take longer to get the pallet you want, particularly if it’s in the centre of a tightly packed rack.
Looking for a Shuttle Racking System? Get in Touch with One Stop Pallet Racking
One Stop Pallet Racking (OSPR) systems can be the ideal solution for the effective storage of your warehouse stock.
Thinking of using a Shuttle Racking System or you are unsure of what pallet racking system will be most suitable for your operations? The storage experts at One Stop Pallet Racking are ready to help you and can answer any of your questions.